ACCORDING TO THE IAC ACTION PLAN DUE TO THE INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY, CAUSED BY THE COVID-19, AND THE DECISIONS TAKEN BY THE USER INSTITUTIONS OF ROQUE DE LOS MUCHACHOS OBSERVATORY, THE VISITS TO THE TELESCOPES ARE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. NEW INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED IN MID-JUNE 2021.
Before requesting a visit read the information offered below.
- Private visitors are conducted by specialized guides duly accredited Starlight Guides*.
- Visits are made during daylight in small groups**..
- Those persons interested in visiting the Observatory must book the services of these guides by specifying the dates and times of their visits***and paying the established fees.
- Contact with the Trained guides for visits to the Roque de los Muchachos telescopes.
Discount for residents of La Palma: The IAC has agreed a discount of 75% on the price to the general public. Guides or Observatory staff may require the presentation of visitors' national identity card (DNI) in order to confirm island residence.
Duration of visits: between 70 and 90 minutes.
Content of visits: the working and particular features of the Observatory will be explained and the dome of one of the telescopes (assigned according to availability) will be visited existente.
Survey of satisfaction with the visit (available soon): in an effort to improve the service offered, we kindly request that, after your visit to the Observatory, you let us know your level of satisfaction with and comments on your visit to the Observatory.
- For reasons of safety, children under six year old are not allowed access to telescope buildings.
- Visitors under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by an adult during the entire visit.
- Guides or Observatory staff may demand to see the national identity card (DNI), passport, or Family Book of minors in order to verify their ages. Pets are not allowed inside telescope buildings.
- It is mandatory to observe safety measures at all facilities indicated by Starlight Guides.
- Visitors should be aware that medical assistance cannot be provided at the Observatory. The nearest hospital is an hour-and-a-half's drive away.
- The Observatory cannot be held responsible for deterioration in the health of any visitor that may be produced as a result of altitude, advanced age (greater than 70 years), or failure to observe the following recommendations and warnings. We urge you to read this document carefully.
- Your visit may be cancelled unexpectedly owing to unforeseen circumstances in the operation of the telescopes or to warnings issued by Official Bodies concerning adverse weather conditions that might affect the safety of persons, facilities, or access to the Observatory (snow, ice, rockfalls, etc.) that would consequently affect the conduct of the visit. In such circumstances the assigned guide will contact you to inform you of the cancellation and possible alternative dates and times.
- Both the IAC and the institutions running the various telescopes reserve the right to refuse admittance if the limits and requirements established here are not observed.
(*) El IAC, through the Starligh Foundation, providesStarligh Guide Courses to train guides to offer visitors to the ORM accurate, understandable, and instructive information on the telescopes, their history, use, and scientific productivity.
(**) Owing to working conditions in the telescope buildings and the restricted space in some of the domes, visits are organized in small groups and during the morning. It is not possible to arrange night-time visits.
(***) For reasons of telescope operation, visits may only be arranged on given days and at given times. Reservations may only be made with limited notice. The guides cannot offer options that conflict with the timetable established by the telescopic installations.
In order to organize your visit we need to know on which date you will be available. If you need further information, please email us at visitasorm [at] iac.es.
Any agencies, producers and communications media, in general, wishing to film or photograph Observatory facilities, both exterior and interior, should consult the general regulations and fill in the application form below.
Once filming has been approved, you will be sent an authorized recording schedule.