- Private visit: Temporary we are reorganizing, to improve, the current system of visits to the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory, which will be resumed soon.
- Schools or social and educational centers, Staff Observatory and IAC: School application.
- Content of a visit: Visitors will be shown the Observatory facilities and the interior of one telescope and an explanation of their working will be given (which telescopes are chosen will depend on their availability). The total visit will last 70-90 minutes. Nocturnal visits are not permitted.
- Age of pupils (1): The minimum age for visitors to the ORM is 12 years. Guides may request to see identification documents (passport/DNI/Family Book) as proof of the age of minors before a visit takes place.
- Health of visitors: The ORM is located 2400 metres above sea level. At this altitude, the oxygen content of the air is noticeably reduced. It is therefore recommended that persons with anaemia, babies, the aged and those with physical problems – especially those suffering from heart and respiratory problems – avoid making visits to the Observatory site. In case of doubt, please consult your doctor.
The ORM does not have medical assistance available in its installations.
Bear in mind that the nearest hospital is an hour and a half’s drive away by car.
Liabilities: The ORM takes no responsibility for any deterioration in health related to altitude, age over 70 years old or resulting from non-observance of our recomendation and warnings (pdf).
Unforeseen circumstances might lead to your visit being cancelled up to a day before the assigned date (or even on the same day2). In any such case we would contact you as soon as possible.
(1) For reasons of security, some telescopes do not admit minors; for this reason, only children over the age of twelve are allowed.
(2) Your visit may be unexpectedly cancelled by the ORM owing to the unforeseen operational needs of the telescopes or adverse meteorological conditions (snow, ice, rockfalls) affecting the safety and accessibility of roads leading to the Observatory.