The main aims of the Mechanics Workshop are the fabrication, measurement, and assembly of pieces required for various IAC instrument development projects. The Mechanics Workshop staff also provide support for the building and adjustment of the telescopes of the Teide Observatory (OT) in Tenerife and Roque de los Muchachos Observatory (ORM) on the island of La Palma. The workshop can also provide assistance with I+D+i-related tasks to firms in the public and private sectors requiring technnical means that would be otherwise unavailable to them.
The Mechanics Workshop can handle the fabrication of units or medium/short series of pieces that normally require high precision. Fabrication can be performed on metallic materials and on a wide variety of plastics according to need. With a view to verifying that the pieces constructed meet specifications, we have at our disposal a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory that is fully equipped with high-precision machines and tools.
At present, the workshop staff consists of two assistants (one in the workshop and one in the storeroom), seven technicians (including six master technicians with wide experience in the areas of dimensional metrology, surfacing (anodizing, painting, metalic coating, sanding, etc.), welding (on standard materials such as steel, stainless steel, and aluminium), precision placement, and mechanical fabrication, including both conventional and Numerical Control (CNC) machinery, using machine code (Mazatrol, G code) or CAD-CAM with Proengineer or Sprit.
The workshop and storeroom assistants handle day-to-day tasks, dealing with problems that arise in fabrication and providing the material means to carry out given tasks.
An important aspect of the Mechanics Workshop to highlight is that the technicians themselves decide how pieces should be fabricated and how a specific job should be done. This arrangement favours close collaboration with the engineers and encourages suggestions for modifications that can facilitate the fabrication process.
The machine and auxiliary equipment room of the Mechanical Workshop is fully and variously equipped. At the present time, we have available the following items of machinery:
• MICROTOR D-330 lathe
• MICROTOR D-330 NP lathe
• TADU C-250 lathe
• (CNC) MAZAK QT-15 lathe
• BOLEY & LEINEN WW 83 GE lathe
• ELITE M-70 Surface grinding machine
• CORREA F2UE milling machine
• CORREA F-3.130 milling machine
• 4-axis (CNC) horizontal MAZAK MAZATECH H-400 machining centre
• 3-axis (CNC) vertical MAZAK MAZATECH V-414 machining centre
• 3-axis (CNC) MAZAK VTC-300C-II machining centre
• 5-axis (CNC) INTEGREX 200-IV machining centre
• EPART-11 metallic sheet bender
• MAB 40-50243 shot blasting cabin
• ALFERIEFF H-437-687 electric oven
• MITUTOYO FJ-805 3-axis measuring engine
• PRE-SET P 54 tool adjustment machine
• JETECO GRI-16-04 threading machine
• FORTE 420 horizontal belt mechanical saw
• GRAVOGRAPH VB3 910 pantograph
• COLLADO GMA-1 folding machine
• SAMUR S-650 V endless belt saw
• ANJO TCE 32 C drill
• ERLO TS-25-32 drill
• TEJERO T-315 cutter
• Painting cabinet
• Anodizing plant