Thanks to the Gran Telescopio CANARIAS (GTC), the authors have demonstrated that two companion stars orbiting black holes are indeed falling onto these black holes, but the spiral-in of these companion stars is faster than what the theory predicts.
- Download: mov, 1920x1080p, h264, 549 MB, 45 seconds
- Description: Artistic animation that shows the evolution of the two binary systems XTE J1118 480 y A0620-00, both with a black hole and a star.
Further information and interview:
- Spanish IAC Press Release
- Interview contact: Jonay I. González-Hernández (jonay [at] iac.es). Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC): (+34) 627 890 790 / 922 605 200 / 922 605 751.
- Publication: J. I. González Hernández, R. Rebolo y J. Casares. ‘Fast orbital decays of black hole X-ray binaries: XTEJ1118+480 and A0620–00’. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. Oxford University Press.