The first years of postdoctoral experience are essential in the career of any researcher. It is a stage of creativity and productivity where collaborations and projects are woven and will mark the future of astrophysical research. The IAC Early-career visitor program has two basic and interconnected goals: to promote both individual scientific development during these early stages and to enhance the role of the IAC as a reference center at an international level. In this sense, the IAC offers an ideal research and work environment. With more than 200 active scientists and over 30 lines of research ranging from solar physics to cosmology, the IAC manages two of the most important astrophysical observatories in the world.
In order to comply with the objectives described above, the visitor program is announced with the following characteristics:
- Intended for researchers with up to a maximum of 4 years of postdoctoral experience. Candidates must have a contract at a research center for the entire duration of the visit. Given the nature of the program, they can only take part once, excluding people who have already been hired by the IAC/ULL as students or postdocs in the past.
- The visits will last between one and three months, with a generous allowance for travel and daily expenses, for a limited number of people per year. There will be two annual calls and the applications will be evaluated by the Research Division Committee.
- To apply to the program, fill out the required form (.pdf .docx) with the following information: (1) a brief description of the work program, (2) the motivation and importance of the visit, and (3) the specific objectives intended for the duration of the stay. Applications must also include a CV and the name of a contact person at the IAC. This documentation should be sent to the following email address early-career [at] iac.es before the deadline indicated below.
- The use of data obtained from the Canary Islands Observatories and projects involving more than one IAC research group will be positively valued, although it is not mandatory. No previous relationship with the center's research staff is necessary.
- The selected candidates are expected to be actively involved in the IAC activities and, in particular, to give a seminar during the visit.
The next deadline, for visits between January 1 and June 30, 2023, will be December 2, 2022