The operation contemplated here includes 11 sub-actions grouped in 4 main actions with high priority in the current Strategic Plan of the Observatorios de Canarias.
The total eligible budget amounts to 8,139,000.00 € of which 85% are with FEDER funds.
This operation is part of the IAC´s commitment to consolidate the Canary Islands Observatories as sites for world reference for astronomical observation, at most responsible for the operation of the international Observatories of the Roque de los Muchachos (ORM) on the island of La Palma, and Teide (OT) in Tenerife. The excellent astronomical quality of the sky of The Canary Islands, comprehensively characterized and protected by Law, makes the Observatories of the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias an " astronomy reserve", that has been open to the international scientific community since 1979, in accordance with the Agreements for Cooperation in Astrophysics.
The strategic investment within the framework of the INSIDE agreement are:
ACTION 1. ADVANCED INSTRUMENTATION FOR TELESCOPIC FACILITIES
- Major upgrade of WHT
- Develop and construct leading astronomical instrumentation: ARES: HARPS3 & HORuS
- Development of Laser Guide Star Facility
- Scientific instrumentation of the CMB laboratory at Teide Observatory.
ACTION 2. ENHANCE TECHNOLOGICAL CAPABALITIES AT THE OBSERVATORIES, INCLUDING THE JOINT DEVELOPMENT OF STATE-OF-THE-ART INSTRUMENTATION
- Major upgrade of detectors to carry out specific observing programmes
- Control system for TCS and IAC80.
ACTION 3. ENABLE WORLD-CLASS RESEARCH
- European Solar Telescope (EST)
ACTION 4. CONTINUE TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF THE SERVICES AND SUPPORTING INFRASTRUCTURES AT THE OOCC
- Support infrastructure to adequate weather / fire conditions at ORM
- Improvement of ORM electrical infrastructure
Theses 4 main actions complement each other to provide and support state-of-the-art facilities to perform frontier research in Universe Sciences, ensuring the best natural, technological and logistical conditions, while fostering a fruitful framework of international collaboration.