The IAC (Tenerife) announces ONE postdoctoral contract to work on topics within the project “Search and Characterization of Amino Acids in Stellar Formation Regions" (ProID2021010078), led by Dr. Susana Iglesias-Groth.
Research topics at the IAC include most areas of astrophysics: Solar Physics (FS), Exoplanetary System and Solar System (SEYSS), Stellar and Interstellar Physics (FEEI), The Milky Way and The Local Group (MWLG), Formation and Evolution of Galaxies (FYEG), and Cosmology and Astroparticles (CYA-CTA). All of these are supported by an ambitious instrumentation programme. In 2020, the IAC was granted by the Spanish Government the status of Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence, a prestigious recognition awarded for the third time to the IAC as a leading research institute in Spain. Further information about the IAC's research programme, its Observatories and the 10.4m GTC is available at the IAC's web page:
The main topic of work will be the search for amino acids, essential molecules for the formation of proteins, in regions of star formation and in proto-planetary disks. The detection of amino acids outside the Solar System is key to our understanding of the origin of life on Earth and to understanding the potential development of life in other regions of the Universe.
Tasks: The successful candidate will pursue research in the following fields:
- Study of the molecular chemical composition of the interstellar medium in star-forming regions and in protoplanetary disks using infrared spectroscopy in the database of the Spitzer satellite and the future JWST.
- Use of open access molecular databases (HITRAN and others) and prediction of absorption coefficients and absorption spectra for various molecular species of astrobiological interest using open access codes.
- Study of the most relevant transitions of proteinogenic amino acids in the midinfrared.
- Search and characterization of amino acid transitions in regions of star formation and proto-planetary discs. Determination of abundances and comparison with other prebiotic molecules.
Candidates' experience in these research fields will be particularly valued.
Requirements: The candidates must have an excellent research record, commensurate with the duration of their research career. They must be in possession of a Ph.D. degree in Molecular Physics or Molecular Chemistry or Astrophysics by the application deadline: candidates who have not received their doctorate before the deadline will not be admitted to the selection process. The IAC is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage, in particular, applications by women and by members of minorities.
Selection process: The selection process consists of two phases: merit assessment and interview.
1. First phase: merit assessment. The Selection Panel will verify and rate the merits documented by the applicants. The maximum score that can be awarded in this phase is 80 points, calculated as the sum of the scores obtained in each of the following two sections.
a) CV (maximum score: 60 points). Main criteria will be:
- Scientific and technical contributions to the field of research, especially those listed in the Science Citation Index, in relation to the duration of the candidate’s scientific career. Of special importance are the first-authored papers by the candidate.
- Appointments and stays (at the PhD or postdoctoral level) in prestigious research institutions.
- Conference contributions, especially those leading to publications.
- Other indicators of research activity and motivation (like invitations to lectures, organization of meetings, and teaching at University level).
- Any periods of inactivity for medical reasons, maternity/paternity leaves, elderly care, or due to training or professional experience in other fields will be taken into account.
b) Adequacy to the objectives of the contract (maximum score 20 points)
Adequacy of the candidate’s training and experience to this contract.
- Doctor in Molecular Physics or Molecular Chemistry or Astrophysics.
- Doctor and have completed a master's degree in astrochemistry or astrobiology.
- Doctor with demonstrable experience in Molecular Physics or Molecular Chemistry.
Form of accreditation for both sections: A report of the candidate's technical and research activity, accompanied by documentation accrediting the activities mentioned.
2) Second phase: interview. (maximum score 20 points)
- Candidates who have obtained at least 50 points in the first phase will be invited to an interview. The interview may be given in either Spanish or English (as chosen by the candidate) and take place using internet communication software (Zoom) that allows voice and image transmission.
- During the interview, the candidate will present, for a maximum of 10 minutes, his/her vision about the suitability of his/her professional profile to the position and the planned research activity if awarded the contract. The presentation may be followed by questions by the Selection Committee.
Of the maximum 20 points to be awarded:
- Up to 10 points correspond to the suitability of the candidate’s profile to the position.
- Up to 10 points correspond to the candidate's vision for their future research activity.
To pass the second phase a minimum score of 15 points will be necessary.
To pass the selective process, a minimum of 65 points must be reached. If there is a draw in the score of two or more candidates, priorities will be set according to the Equality Plan of the IAC.
Training: Candidates who have obtained their doctorate at the IAC must provide accreditation of a period of complementary training at other research centres. The required period is a full continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during the doctoral studies stage and after obtaining the Ph.D. degree, but not periods prior to the predoctoral contract at the IAC).
Duration: The appointment will be until April 30, 2023. It is estimated that the date of commencement will be during the first half of 2022.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary will be 35.820 Euros, with deductions of up to 20% for income tax (IRPF) and social security (dependent on the candidate's personal situation). The contract provides social security cover for spouse or de facto partner and children.
Extra financial support to start the contract: The present job offer includes financial support related to the incorporation of the selected candidate at the IAC. These expenses must be included in the following categories, and within the period of 14 days immediately prior to the start date of the contract: 1) Air or boat ticket from the place of residence to Tenerife (arranged by the IAC). The price of the ticket will be at the cheapest rate. 2) Accommodation expenses for two weeks (13 nights), also arranged by the IAC, and a per diem of 37,40 euros x 14 days, no other expenses will be reimbursed.
Applicants from outside the EU: Successful applicants who are not citizens of a member country of the European Union must keep in mind that, prior to signing the contract, they must obtain a residence and work permit (NIE card) from the Spanish immigration authorities.
Presentation of applications: Applications must be sent electronically via the web-based application system https://iac.sede.gob.es/procedimientos/portada/idp/390/language/en before the deadline set out in this advertisement. Alternatively, you may follow the instructions given in the corresponding official advertisement on our website.
The following documentation must be sent:
- Application including the name and position code (PS-2022-019).
- Copy of a valid passport or national identity card.
- Cover Letter.
- CV, containing a list of publications (NO amendment allowed).
- Report on research activity and justification of suitability for the job -not exceeding 2 pages- (NO amendment allowed).
- Copy of your degree or corresponding stamped certificate, issued on behalf of the University where you have obtained. the degree (in Spanish or English) (NO amendment allowed).
- Certificate of training in other centers (only for applicants that have completed their doctorate at the IAC).
You should also include the names and email addresses of two or three scientists familiar with your work.
Applications submitted after the deadline will be automatically rejected, as will those unaccompanied by a Curriculum Vitae, Research Activity Report, copy of the Degree or the Scientific Project to be developed (in the case of PD Astrophysics calls), documents that cannot be corrected or added to after submission. Applications not accompanied by these documents will therefore definitely be excluded from the selection process.
If any other required documents are omitted, they will have to be submitted within a period of five working days after publication of the provisional list of admitted and excluded candidates.
The IAC supports and adheres to the Recommendation of the European Commission 2005/251/EC of March 11th 2005 on “The European Charter for Researchers” and “The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers” adopted by the European Commission. Additionally, the IAC is aligned with the "Human Resources Strategy for Researchers" (HRS4R) fostered by the European Commission to support the implementation of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (C&C), having received recognition from the European Commission, with the award of the distinction "Excellence in Human Resources in Research".
Application deadline: MAY 13, 2022
Contact: For further information about the scientific aspects of this opening, please contact the head of the project at the IAC PI, Dr. Susana Iglesias Groth (sigroth at iac.es).