Research topics at the IAC cover most fields of astrophysics, including solar physics, planetary systems, stellar and interstellar physics, formation and evolution of galaxies, and cosmology and astroparticles. These fields are supported by an ambitious instrumentation programme. In 2015, the IAC was granted by the Spanish Government the status of for research; it is the second time that this prestigious honour has been awarded to the IAC as a leading Spanish research centre. For further information on the IAC's research programme, observatories, and the GTC 10.4m telescope consult the IAC's website ().
Tasks: The successful candidate will pursue research related to the following fields:
- Desing of the WEAVE spectroscopic surveys related with galaxy clusters.
- Develop of the target catalogs, calibration plan, and optimice the observational strategy of the WEAVE cluster surveys.
- Test the Advance Data System (APS) pipeline with synthetic WEAVE spectra.
The candidates must have a good publication record and provide evidence of experience in leading original research.
Requirements: The candidates must have an excellent research record, commensurate with the duration of their research career. They must be in possession of a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics by the application deadline (November 20, 2019): candidates who have not received their doctorate before the deadline will be not be admitted to the selection process. The IAC is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage, in particular, applications by women and by members of minorities.
Selection process: The selection process consists of two phases: merit assessment and interview.
1. First Phase: merit assessment. The selection panel will verify and rate the merits documented by the applicants. The maximum score that can be awarded in this phase is 80 points, calculated as the sum of the scores obtained in each of the following two sections.
- CV (maximum score 60 points). Main criteria will be:
- Scientific and technical contributions to the field of research, specially those listed in the Science Citation Index, in relation to the duration of the candidate’s scientific career. Of special importance are the first-authored papers by the candidate.
- Appointments and stays (at the PhD or postdoctoral level) in prestigious research institutions.
- Conference contributions, especially those leading to publications.
- Other indicators of research activity and motivation (like: invitations to lectures, organization of meetings, teaching at University level).
- Any periods of inactivity for medical reasons, maternity/paternity leaves, elderly care, or due to training or professional experience in other fields will be taken into account.
- Adequacy to the objectives of the contract (maximum score 20 points)
Adequacy of the candidate’s training and experience to this contract:
- Treatment and/or analysis of spectroscopic data in the visible
- Develop and design of astronomical surveys, specially those related with galaxy clusters.
2) Second Phase: Interview. (maximum score 20 points)
- Candidates who have obtained at least 50 points in the first phase will be invited to an interview. The interview can be in English or Spanish (as chosen by the candidate) and take place either in person at the IAC headquarters or using internet communication software (Zoom or Skype) that allows voice and image transmission.
- During the interview, the candidate will present, for a maximum of 10 minutes, his/her vision about the suitability of his/her professional profile to the position and the planned research activity if awarded the contract. The presentation may be followed by questions by the Selection Committee.
Of the maximum 20 points to be awarded:
- up to 10 points correspond to the suitability of the candidate’s profile to the position
- up to 10 points correspond to the candidate's vision for their future research activity.
To pass the second phase a minimum score of 15 points will be necessary.
To pass the selective process, a minimum of 65 points must be reached. If there is a draw in the score of two or more candidates, priorities will be set according to the Equality Plan of the IAC.
Training: Candidates who obtained their doctorate at the IAC must provide accreditation of a period of complementary training at other research centres. The required period is a full continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during doctoral studies).
Duration: The appointment will be for a period of one year. The estimated date of commencement will be in January 1, 2020.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary will be 34.092 Euros, with deductions of up to 20% for income tax (IRPF) and social security (dependent on the candidate's personal situation). The contract provides social security cover for spouse or de facto partner and children.
Extra financial support to start the contract: The present job offer includes financial support for the selected candidate at the time of starting the appointment. The support covers the following items: air ticket (arranged by the IAC), stay at a hotel for a maximum of two weeks (reservation made by the IAC), and a per diem, also for a maximum of two weeks. This financial support cannot exceed 2,500 Euros.
Applicants from outside the EU: Successful applicants who are not citizens of a member country of the European Union must keep in mind that, prior to signing the contract, they must obtain a residence and work permit (NIE card) from the Spanish immigration authorities.
Presentation of applications: Applications must be sent electronically via the web-based application system http://research.iac.es/jobs/ before the deadline set out in this advertisement. Alternatively, you may follow the instructions given in the corresponding official advertisement on our website.
The following documentation must be sent in a single PDF file:
- Application form (Annex I), duly filled and signed, including the name and code of the job offer.
- Copy of passport or national identity card (with the same number indicated in Annex I).
- CV, containing a list of publications
- Report on research activity and justification of suitability for the job (not exceeding 2 pages)
- Copy of the Doctoral degree or certified proof of being in possession of a doctorate (in Spanish or English)
You should also include the names and email addresses two or three scientists familiar with your work.
Applications that do not include the application form of Annex I with all the data required in it will not be considered. If any of the other required documents are omitted, they will have to be submitted within a period of five working days after publication of the provisional list of admitted and excluded candidates.
Application deadline: November 20, 2019
Contact: For further information about the scientific aspects of this opening, please contact the head of the project at the IAC, Dr. J.A. López Aguerri (jalfonso [at] iac.es (jalfonso at iac.es) ).