The VLT-FLAMES survey of massive stars. NGC 2004#115: A triple system hosting a possible short period B+BH binary

Lennon, D. J.; Dufton, P. L.; Villaseñor, J. I.; Evans, C. J.; Langer, N.; Saxton, R.; Monageng, I. M.; Toonen, S.
Bibliographical reference

Astronomy and Astrophysics

Advertised on:
Number of authors
IAC number of authors
Refereed citations
Context. NGC 2004#115 was classified as a single lined Be spectroscopic binary in the Large Magellanic Cloud. Its Hα morphology is reminiscent of the Galactic systems LB-1 and HR 6819, both of which are proposed as either Be+BH or Be+stripped He-star systems.
Aims: Multi-epoch optical spectra of NGC 2004#115 are used to determine if this binary can be explained by either of these two scenarios, and hence shed additional light on these interesting systems.
Methods: VLT-FLAMES and SALT-HRS data covering a baseline of ∼20 years were analyzed to determine radial velocities and orbital parameters, while non-LTE model atmospheres were used to determine stellar parameters and the relative brightness of the system components. Archive MACHO, Gaia, and XMM-Newton data provide additional constraints on the system.
Results: NGC 2004#115 is found to be a triple system consisting of an inner binary with a period P = 2.92 d, eccentricity e ∼ 0.0, and mass function f = 0.07 M⊙. The only firmly detected star in this inner binary is a B2 star, the primary, with a projected rotational velocity (ve sin i) of 10 km s−1 and a luminosity of log L/L⊙ = 3.87. It contributes ∼60% of the total V-band light, with the tertiary contributing the other ∼40% of the light, while the secondary is not detected in the optical spectrum. The possibility that the primary is a low mass inflated stripped star is excluded since its Roche radius would be smaller than its stellar radius in such a compact system. A main sequence star of mass 8.6 M⊙ is therefore inferred; however, the assumption of synchronous rotation leads to a secondary mass in excess of 25 M⊙, which would therefore be a black hole. The tertiary is detected as a fainter blended component to the hydrogen and helium lines, which is consistent with a slightly less massive B-type star, though with ve sin i ∼ 300 km s−1. The data do not permit the characterization of the outer period, though it likely exceeds 120 days and is therefore in a stable configuration. The disk-like emission is variable, but may be associated with the inner binary rather than the rapidly rotating tertiary. XMM-Newton provides an upper limit of 5 × 1033 ergs s−1 in the 0.2-12 keV band which is consistent with, though not constraining, the system hosting a quiescent B+BH binary. A number of caveats to this scenario are discussed.
Related projects
Projets' image
Physical properties and evolution of Massive Stars
This project aims at the searching, observation and analysis of massive stars in nearby galaxies to provide a solid empirical ground to understand their physical properties as a function of those key parameters that gobern their evolution (i.e. mass, spin, metallicity, mass loss, and binary interaction). Massive stars are central objects to
Simón Díaz