The IAC's Instrumentation Division provides technological support, and carries out research and instrument development projects generated by the centre's scientific programme. The Division's general aims are to:
- Develop new instrumentation for astrophysical research
- Provide support for the maintenance and improvement of existing astronomical instrumentation at the IAC
- Train technical staff
- Generate and transfer technology to industry and other institutions
The Division is organized into two sections, Engineering and Production:
- Engineering comprises five departments: Optics, Mechanics, Electronics, Software, and Project Management. The Electronic Design, Electromagnetic Compatibility, Optics, Fibre Optics, Optical Surfacing, and Mechanical Integration and Verification Laboratories, together with the CAD Room, are run by the Engineering Section.
- Production consists of the Mechanical Workshop, the Electronics Workshop, and the Technical Drawing Laboratory; it also oversees the Dimensional Metrology Laboratory and the AIV Room.
The Instrumentation Division has a matrix-like structure in which project managers coordinate the work of variously designated resources and fundamental services participating in a given project. The Head of Division, with the aid of the departmental heads, assigns resources and oversees the progress of the projects.